Monday, November 4, 2013

Long Wharf, Sag Harbor

Long Wharf has been an international seaport since 1770. It has the unique distinction of being the first official port of entry to the United States. It was chosen by the Second Session of Congress on July 31, 1789. New York City was named an official port the following day.  
Long Wharf, Sag Harbor c1906
Eric Woodward's Postcard Collection here
These days you will see sport fishing boats instead of a whaling ships, yachts from the Cayman Islands instead of passenger steamships. The wharf still buzzes with activity especially during the summer months. It is a great place for food, entertainment and people watching. 
I am most familiar with Long Wharf approaching by land.  
Bay Street Theater is at the entrance to the wharf.
Big Olaf ice cream is just a few steps away.
Easy to find, just look for the line of families waiting in line.
Big Olaf image from here
B. Smith's for fine dining or cocktails overlooking the harbor.
photo at B. Smith's from Hampton's Magazine
The Dock House for casual dining.
Dock House  photo from here
You can enjoy a picnic at the beach while the children look for crabs.
Band Stand, foot of Main Street 
photo from here
Long Wharf postcard photo from here
A branch of the Long Island Railroad used to run right onto the wharf.
Wading children and kayakers visit the beach.
The water is beautifully clear.
The windmill is a visitor information center built in the 1960s.
Poster to celebrate Sag Harbor's 300th Anniversary 
Always an inspiration for artists.
July Evening, Sag Harbor by Ramiro
Oil 12.5" x 8.5"
image from here
Woodcut from 1840
For more on Sag Harbor's Long Wharf:
Sag Harbor History Room, John Jermain Library - here
Village of Sag Harbor - history
A Trip Down Memory Lane in Sag Harbor - Hamptons.com

2 comments:

  1. My first time to your blog which I found through Tongue in Cheek I think. I really enjoyed your post and loved to see your old postcards. I have a large collection of vintage postcards and try to place some on my posts when I can. We did visit Long Island a while back, but not that side of it. We went to Great Neck mostly to find the house of a friend who grew up there (I wrote about it on my blog.) I loved what I saw and hope we can go back. I still have many posts to write about that trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I love the way you illustrate your trips with a combination of personal photos and vintage postcards. The vintage images give an identifiable reference to the passage of time that we so often ignore. Isn't "Tongue in Cheek" the best?

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!