Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sagaponack

I was sitting at the red light at Montauk Highway and Sagg Main Road on Saturday when I thought,  instead of my usual rushing from here to there I should make a turn south and check out the beach.
Sagg Main beach is at the very end of Sagg Main Road.
This weekend it was cold, beautiful and nearly deserted.
On the way to the beach I passed the Sagaponack Common School . Grades 1-4 are taught in a one room school house environment. This year's enrollment is 17 students. Who would have thought that one of the nation's last little red school houses would be in the Hamptons?
The Sagg Store and Post Office are also on Sagg Main.
I was going to stop inside, but the Sagg Store is closed until April.
Peering through the front window will have to do for today.
Madoo Conservancy is also along Sagg Main.
Madoo is generally closed until May, but it opens on Winter Lecture Series days. The last lecture will be Sunday March 9th at Noon. Information about the lecture which will be held in Robert Dash's winter house painting studio is here.  The entryway to Madoo offers a glimpse of the unique vision of its creator Robert Dash.
Whimsical detail on the cabinet out front.
A blue gate, a splash of color.
The Foster Farm is also along Sagg Main.
Marilee Foster is a farmer, author and columnist.
Her book, Dirt Under My Nails, is a favorite of mine.
Marilee Foster writes a column called Farm Girl Angst in Edible East End and the local Sagg update in the Southampton Press
This wonderful treehouse will be harder to see in summer.
The red barns enliven the brown winter landscape.
This farmhouse near the beach is available for rent
Information regarding taking a walk in the Sagg Nature Preserve is here - another hidden gem. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. With all my snow and my love of beach:)
    You got me from the get go..
    I have no idea why your posts don't come to me..:(
    I Follow you..and I get no advisories etc..
    I would be sorry to miss posts.
    The rental on that house.. What a season that would be..!
    I love beaches off season and would one day like to rent a tiny place on the beach for 1 week ..to experience off season..not Fl off season..Maine or Mass.... a colder climate..
    The form of the tree nesting the tree house is superb.
    No lack of inspiration in your jaunts..
    The Hamptons look out of this world~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!