I stopped into the Springs Mystery Art Sale on its last day. I'm so glad that I did. What a fun and intriguing event! The sale was held to benefit the arts programs at the Springs Union Free School District . Over 1000 student and artist works were displayed and offered anonymously for sale for a mere $20. Yes, over 1000 works of art.
A number of well known local artists participated in the sale. Chuck Close, Ross Bleckner, Janet Jennings, April Gornik and Eric Fischl to name just a few. The pre-sale buzz inspired a long line on the show's first day. Art collectors were excited by the prospect of getting a bargain, student artists were excited to have their work be viewed and collected. All in support of art education. Very cool.
opening day photo from here
The 5" x 7" pieces were displayed on boards throughout the gallery.
So many paintings to view!
#12 one of my mystery purchases
by Vasquez Patino Esteban, grade 5
There were also a few paintings offered for silent auction.
|Silent Auction watercolor by Ursula Thomas|
Springs Mystery Art Sale on Facebook here
In the press:
The Rules of the Sale:
- All artworks are sold for $20 each
- Cash Only
- Up to 5 red dots may be purchase at a time. After you have selected 5 works to purchase you may join the line to purchase more dots.
- Red dots must be given to a staff member to mark the artwork as sold.
- Please make a note of the artwork you purchased for your records.
- Based on the size of the crowd viewing time in the gallery may be limited.
- Purchased artwork must be picked up from Ashawagh Hall between 10 am - 3 pm on 4/27.
The List of artists (from here)