Sunday, June 1, 2014

Beach Plum Jam

On may way to Madoo last weekend, I stopped at the Sagaponack School bake sale. They had all sorts of delicious looking things from cakes and cookies to quiches and jams. I wasn't sure how long my purchases would be sitting in the car so I left with only one item, a jar of Beach Plum Jam. It was scrumptions on my breakfast toast.
When I first visited the East coast beaches I wrongly assumed the hips of the Rosa Rugosa where beach plums. 
Rosa Rugosa hip = NOT Beach Plum
photo via
Ripe beach plums photo via
The beach plum flower early in spring about the same time as forsythia. Note their location for return foraging.
Beach Plum (Prunus Maritima) photo via 66 Square Feet

In the back of my mind, I remembered a painting of Shinnecock Hills by William Merritt Chase with white flowering shrubs. Could they be spring beach plum? The Chase family summered in Long Island as Chase senior taught at his famous summer art colony. What would stop him from coming out east to enjoy the beautiful spring as well? Possible evidence:
Shinnecock Hills, Long Island 1900
William Merritt Chase

Beach Plum Recipes here

3 comments:

  1. I bought a jar in Massachusetts..not yours of course..even the name is lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the beach plum jam recipes I found were Cape Cod related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of beach plum jam and love to try it. I am always fascinated by regional foods and when I was in Hawaii recently I purchased Waimea Strawberry and Passionfruit Jams. You have just reminded me that I need to crack them open and spread them on toast. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!