Saturday, August 15, 2015

Summer Still Lifes and Landscapes

Summertime food shopping is a visual treat. Everywhere I look, I see a painting. Squash piled beneath sunflowers and beautiful arranged fruit are still life vignettes. A cornfield bordering a barn, is a landscape painting. Ordinary kitchen items when pared with summer's bounty become painterly.
Edible East End is a way to visit the Hamptons and North Fork vicariously. I am fortunate to pickup Edible at farm stands in the area but you can also find it onlineEdible offers an introduction to local farmers, fishermen, and much more.  Their photography is lovely. I always find something new to inspire me in their pages. I especially enjoy writer and farmer Marilee Foster's column, Farmgirl Angst.
I've also cultivated my very small plot.
My patio pot of Herbs de Hamptons produces the seasoning of the summer.
Marinade: 
the Scarborough Fair
olive oil and lemon juice
+
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...
...perfect marinade for fish from the Clamman
We are enjoying the gorgeous summer. The hydrangea that wall the back porch dining area are turning fall colors. Savoring these days.

5 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I'm starting to feel the change of the seasons as well, or maybe it's wishful thinking. We are in the midst of a heat wave here in L.A. and I can't wait until fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sunday! It is supposed to be in the 90s here next week too. Fall will be here soon enough. I am enjoying these summer days. It goes by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this post..your potted herbs are beautiful as well as all your blue vessels and bucolic clics.
    Me thinks you like Cobalt..Indanthrone,ultramarine..etc:)
    Going to check out the magazine..Happy Sunday to you and your pretty patio seating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love a good food & farm post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!