Tuesday, October 18, 2016

April Gornik Show in Manhattan

Hugh and I were fortunate to attend the opening of April Gornik's new exhibition at Danese/Corey Gallery in Manhattan. 
The first work that you see, Blue Day, Blue Night draws you into the gallery, its representation of the most glorious cloud filled sky captures the moment of looking up in awe. As I walked through the gallery, each work struck a chord of emotional recognition. The grand scale of Gornik's work is fitting for its majestic subjects. Each piece is a showstopper. Together in one gallery, an artistic tour de force.
Blue Day, Blue Night
2016, oi on linen, 73 x 88.5" via
Marsh and Rising Clouds
2015, oil on linen, 76 x 94" via
Spring Light and Still Water
2016, oil on linen, 72 x 108" via
Light Crossing the Marsh
2015, oil on linen, 24 x 32" via
Spirit Clouds
2015, oil on linen, 18 x 24" via
The Danese/Corey Gallery is currently showing recent works by April Gornik until November 12, 2016.
All photos of artwork are by Gary Marnay for Danese/Corey.
Gornik's paintings are inspired by her surroundings. She doesn't paint en plein air, but captures an emotional impression of the landscape with her precise rendering of the scene from imagination and memory. In the photo below, which was included in the exhibition catalogue, I picture her jumping out of a suddenly stopped car to take visual notes on a particularly compelling cloud formation.
Portrait of the artist at work by Margaret Garrett

When I saw the photo of April above, it made me love her work all the more. I identify with that urge to try and capture an image of our surroundings in some way. I am often in the same pose with my camera. I have yet to transcribe these images into paint, but you can see from whence we dream.

1 comment:

  1. I love her taking the pic..she's very glam too..her work is beautiful..Oh to paint even one tree lifelike ..as she does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!