Wednesday, December 21, 2016

First Snow and Favorite Things


Exchanging Holiday Cards is one of my favorite things. "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens." Coming home to brightly colored envelopes with updates and loving wishes from friends and family are things I look forward to each year.  "Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens." Growing up, Dad created our Christmas card. He would ink a drawing of a bird and include a beautifully written Bible verse. The anticipation began sometime after Thanksgiving. What bird would Dad choose?  Would he finish the card on time? Out on my own I chose store bought cards, until after Dad passed away. It was then that I was moved to continue his tradition. My first effort was a card with a drawing of a cardinal. Since then Hugh and I have collaborated on ideas for our card each year.  This year's card carries an image of Hugh's beautiful painting of New York City's Flatiron Building.
Flatiron Snow by Hugh Gallagher
oil on canvas 18" x 24"
There is always something magical about the first snow.
Finding gifts for someone special at Hildreth's"Brown paper packages tied up with string."
"These are a few of my favorite things." at Topiaire
Across the street from the scene of the fire in Sag Harbor stands La Maisonette. Life sometimes throws thinks at you completely the opposite of a Christmas card perfect holiday, but with the love of family, the community of friends and a heart of gratitude we feel the true spirit of the season. Merry Christmas.
"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling bad. I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so sad." 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and thoughtful post. Merry Christmas to you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Best wishes for the New Yearđź’•

      Delete
  2. I loved that movie..one of my all time favorites..I must have been 10? I remeber getting my first long playing album..it was that from my much older brother..that too I remember the feel the scent!
    Your header is so touching and well photographed..the painting by Hugh..honestly show stopping.Just like the art I Pin that I love..
    I am a very grateful recipient of your cards for 2 years now.
    Thank you so very much.
    Going to the cardinal link..your tree and view..and vignette of letter writing are dear Gail.Pass my best wishes for the new year to Hugh also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't Julie Andrews look so innocent and beautiful? While I was writing this the song just popped into my head. Hugh's painting is perfection. He spent so much dreaming about it before actually beginning. Thank you for your friendship, Monique.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!