Early Friday morning, December 16, a fire spread through the heart of our Village. Flames took the Cinema and surrounding buildings.
Village Police Officer Randy Steyert awoke a man sleeping in a second story apartment after he discovered the fire at about 6:10 am. Steyert was stopping at Sag Town Coffee before his shift.
The sleeping apartment resident, Michael Lynch escaped with his life but lost everything else. Michael was only able to put on pants, coat and slippers before running out into the freezing cold. Another resident, Fred Kumwenda also lost everything. In the photo below, the apartments were at the right. Please click on Michael and Fred's names if you can help. Thankfully no one was killed or injured in this fire. They are still determining its cause.
I was at Schiavone's IG picking up groceries on Saturday when I noticed that the older gentleman in front of me was sporting a green "team" jacket embroidered with fire department badges and logo. I asked him if the Sag Harbor Fire Department was all volunteers. He replied, "Yes and I'm the oldest volunteer. I've been a fireman for 65 years." He said he'd worked the big fires of 1977 and 1994. An amazing man! The heart of the village is people like him and each of us who come together to support each other every day. We have such a great community. We will rebuild.
P.S. Yes, they did salvage the sign!
To Help Rebuild:
Sag Harbor Partnership website or by mail:
P.O. Box 182,
Sag Harbor, NY 11963 with "Historic Building/Fire" in check memo line
To Support our first responders:
Sag Harbor Volunteer Fire Department
P.O. Box 209 Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance Corps
P.O. Box 2725 Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Police Benevolent Association
P.O. Box 1293 Sag Harbor, NY 11963
In the Press: